Method
Sources, rights and what is still open
How this section was researched, what each institution actually says, and the questions a historian would still have to settle.
The rule
Nothing on these pages is asserted without a source. Where the sources disagree, both readings are printed and the disagreement is named. Where the record is silent — Alma Pelot’s dates, Washington Peale’s parentage, the wartime address of the Bolles gallery — the page says the information is unavailable and stops there.
Attribution language
Institutions choose their words carefully and this site does not improve on them. When the Metropolitan Museum of Art writes Attributed to Alma A. Pelot, that is what appears here. When the Library of Congress records that a creator was identified from a named book, the book is named. A work with no photographer is published as unidentified rather than assigned to the nearest plausible name.
How the King Street galleries were placed
Four of the wartime galleries are pinned to a block rather than a stretch of street, and the method is worth stating because the method is the claim. Frederick Ford’s census of 1861 lists every house on King Street by number, owner and occupant, but it never marks a cross street. The Sanborn survey of May 1884 draws every building and marks every corner, but its numbers are post-renumbering. Two premises appear in both, at corners, and they are what tie the two together: Siegling’s music house on the Beaufain corner — 251–253 King in Ford, numbered 247 in 1884 and still marked Music Mdse. on all three floors — and Eibe H. Marjenhoff’s at the Liberty corner, 333 King in Ford and still 333 in 1884, with the same man listed at 2 Liberty Street.
The street was renumbered twice, not once. Count the doors north from the Beaufain corner and the three schemes do not start in the same place: Ford’s census of 1861 begins that block at 255, the Sanborn survey of 1884 begins it at 259, and the numbering in use today begins it at 245 — Historic Charleston Foundation photographed 245–247 King as the northwest corner of King and Beaufain in 1970, and 243, the Siegling Music House, on the other side of it. A wartime number is therefore two removes from a modern one, and no single offset converts it.
Between those two anchors the schemes differ by no more than about four doors. Counting doors from the anchor corner at the thirty-foot frontage the 1882 renumbering contract itself used puts Quinby four doors north of Beaufain, Cook six, Bolles two south of Liberty, and Osborn & Durbec three doors the other side of Beaufain, in the block below. That is a position within a block. It is not a building, and the records do not say it is.
Addresses
Charleston’s City Council contracted a complete renumbering of the city in 1882; it was finished before the earthquake of 31 August 1886 and is the basis of the numbers used today. An earlier scheme, of Frederick Ford’s own invention, was approved in September 1861 and then shelved for the duration of the war. A wartime number and a modern number are therefore different systems, and running a period address through a modern geocoder produces a confident, wrong answer. No coordinate in this section was arrived at that way. Named intersections survive renumbering, and those are mapped as intersections; numbered addresses are mapped to the street and labeled as such.
Images and rights
Works held by other institutions are not copied onto this site. Each work record reproduces the repository’s own rights advisory verbatim, keeps its credit line, and links to the catalog record where the highest-resolution authorized file can be obtained. “Online” is not a rights status and does not appear as one. Photographs already published in this collection are shown, with their own credit lines, on the pages of the photographers they are credited to.
Portraits
A portrait is published only when a verified likeness exists and may be shown. For most of these men none has been located, and the page says so rather than showing a stand-in. No portrait in this section is generated, reconstructed or inferred.
Research status
| Photographer | Claims | Verified | Attributed | Disputed | Open | State | Portrait |
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| George N. Barnard | 5 | 5 | 0 | 0 | 0 | Complete | none-located |
| Jesse H. Bolles | 5 | 4 | 0 | 0 | 1 | Partial | none-located |
| George LaGrange Cook | 4 | 2 | 0 | 0 | 2 | Partial | none-located |
| George Smith Cook | 12 | 8 | 1 | 3 | 0 | Disputed | barred |
| Samuel Abbot Cooley | 6 | 4 | 2 | 0 | 0 | Complete | verified |
| Jacob Frank Coonley | 4 | 1 | 1 | 0 | 2 | Partial | none-located |
| Frederick Eugene Durbec | 3 | 2 | 1 | 0 | 0 | Complete | none-located |
| Philip Haas | 6 | 3 | 1 | 0 | 2 | Partial | none-located |
| William E. James | 4 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | Disputed | none-located |
| James M. Osborn | 6 | 4 | 1 | 1 | 0 | Disputed | none-located |
| Washington Peale | 3 | 1 | 1 | 0 | 1 | Partial | none-located |
| Alma A. Pelot | 4 | 2 | 1 | 0 | 1 | Partial | none-located |
| Charles J. Quinby | 4 | 3 | 1 | 0 | 0 | Complete | none-located |
| Selmar Rush Seibert | 2 | 0 | 1 | 0 | 1 | Partial | none-located |
Works, repositories and rights
| Work | Repository | Identifier | Rights | Attribution |
|---|---|---|---|---|
| Charleston, South Carolina. View of Charleston from the roof of the Orphan Asylum | Library of Congress | LC-B811- 3420 [P&P]; LOT 4163 (corresponding photographic print) | No known restrictions on publication | Verified |
| [Charleston, S.C. Fort Sumter, from the sand-bar] | Library of Congress | LC-B811- 3047 [P&P]; LOT 4166-C (corresponding photographic print) | No known restrictions on publication | Verified |
| Charleston, South Carolina. Ruins of Secession Hall | Library of Congress | LC-B811- 3447 [P&P]; LOT 4163 (corresponding photographic print) | No known restrictions on publication | Verified |
| Fort Sumter, the terreplein of the gorge, 15 April 1861 (MK 3220) | The Charleston Museum | MK 3220 | Permission required | Attributed |
| Fort Sumter, three men beside a gun, 15 April 1861 (MK 3636) | The Charleston Museum | MK 3636 | Permission required | Attributed |
| The Palmetto Battery near Charleston, 1863 | Library of Congress | LOT 4210, no. 8 [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Verified |
| Interior of Secession Hall | Library of Congress | LOT 4163 [item] [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Attributed |
| Interior view of Fort Sumter in 1864 [i.e. 1863] | Library of Congress | LOT 4210, no. 14 [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Verified |
| Charleston, South Carolina. Beacon on parapet of Fort Sumter | Library of Congress | LC-B811- 3055 [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Verified |
| Sam Cooley and his camera on the parapet of Fort Sumter | Library of Congress | LC-B811- 3053 [P&P]; LOT 4166-C (corresponding photographic print) | No known restrictions on publication | Attributed |
| Ordnance ya[rd], Morris Island, near Charleston, S.C. | Library of Congress | LOT 4172, no. 201 [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Attributed |
| Charleston, South Carolina. Flag-raising ceremony at Fort Sumter | Library of Congress | LC-B811- 3143 [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Attributed |
| Scenes taken on Morris Island, S.C., during the Charleston campaign in the summer of 1863 | Library of Congress | LOT 4196 (H) [P&P] | Rights not evaluated by the repository | Verified |
| Raising the flag at Fort Sumter, April /14/65 / photographed by W.E. James, no. 267 Fulton Street, Brooklyn | Library of Congress | LOT 14110-11, no. 7 (H) [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Verified |
| The Evacuation of Fort Sumter — an album of sixteen cartes de visite | The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 2005.100.1174.1–.16 | No rights statement located | Disputed |
| The Evacuation of Fort Sumter, April 1861 | The Metropolitan Museum of Art | 2005.100.1174.11 | Public domain | Attributed |
| Terre-plein off the Gorge, Fort Sumter | The Metropolitan Museum of Art | — | No rights statement located | Attributed |
| Fort Moultrie, no. 1 | Library of Congress | LOT 14110-1, no. 29 (H) [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Verified |
| Fort Sumter, interior, with a dismounted gun | Library of Congress | LOT 14110-1, no. 33 (H) [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Verified |
| Goose Creek church interior — an 1860 negative reissued in the 1870s | Library of Congress | LOT 14110-11, no. 52 [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Attributed |
| South Carolina Institute Hall, Charleston, S.C. | Library of Congress | LOT 14110-11, no. 59 [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Attributed |
| Mills House (section) | Library of Congress | LOT 14110-1, no. 26 (H) [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Verified |
| Plantation no. 1 Planter’s house near Rockville, Charleston, S.C. | Library of Congress | LOT 14110-1, no. 39 (H) [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Verified |
| The Confederate flag over Fort Sumter, 15 April 1861 | Library of Congress | PH - Pelot, no. 1 (A size) [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Attributed |
| An unidentified Confederate soldier, by Quinby & Co. | Library of Congress | AMB/TIN no. 3791 [P&P] | No known restrictions on publication | Verified |
Open questions
- Alma A. Pelot’s birth and death dates, and anything of his life beyond his Charleston working years. He is not in the 1861 city census under his own name.
- Osborn & Durbec at 223 King Street or at 245. The firm’s own mounts print 223; Ford’s census of 1861 puts them at 245. Either the depot moved, or the mounts carried a stale number — and Quinby’s 261 agrees between mount and census, which argues against the two schemes simply differing.
- Washington Peale’s dates, and whether he belonged to the Philadelphia Peale family of painters as the shared surname suggests.
- Whether Philip Haas held a commission. One collection guide styles him lieutenant; his Library of Congress entry gives Company A, 1st New York Engineers.
- George S. Cook’s birthplace: Stratford or Stamford, Connecticut.
- W. E. James’s year of birth: 1835 or 1841.
- Whether Cook moved between 1852 and 1861, or the street was renumbered under him: Craig’s Registry has him at 235 King in 1852, Ford’s census at 265 King in 1861.
- Converting a wartime King Street number to a modern building. The block is now settled — see below — but the building is not, and the Sanborn surveys cannot settle it: those of May 1884 and June 1888 both postdate the city’s renumbering, and the 1888 index puts the Lutheran church at 405 King, where St. Matthew’s stands today.
- Whether the drift between the numbering schemes is as small everywhere on King Street as it is between Beaufain and Liberty, where it runs from about four doors to none. Two anchors is two, not a survey.
- Which buildings, if any, survive. The City Engineer’s Plat Book at the Lowcountry Digital Library gives measured frontages lot by lot at the King and Beaufain corner, and Historic Charleston Foundation photographed every building on this stretch in 1967 and 1970. Between them they could settle it. Doing so means following particular lots through the plats and the conveyance record — title research, and it has not been done here.
- A trap, recorded so nobody falls into it. A building at 265 King Street today is associated with a Cook photographic studio, and Ford’s census puts George S. Cook at 265 King in 1861. The numbers are the same and the claim is not: the street was renumbered twice in between, and the studio at that modern address is his son George LaGrange Cook’s, of the later 1880s. Nothing traced here shows the father’s wartime gallery standing at the modern 265.
- Which of the April 1865 Fort Sumter negatives in the Library of Congress’s LOT 4166-C are Barnard’s and which are Cooley’s. The catalog credits one to each and leaves the rest without a creator.
- J. F. Coonley’s training and Anthony employment, which rest on secondary compilations rather than a traced primary source.
- Selmar Rush Seibert: everything except the National Archives credit.
Bibliography
- Garry Adelman, John Richter and Bob Zeller, eds., 99 Historic Images of Civil War Charleston (Center for Civil War Photography, 2009). https://www.civilwarphotography.org/
- George N. Barnard, Photographic Views of Sherman’s Campaign (New York, 1866).
- “The Street Numbers of Peninsular Charleston,” Charleston County Public Library. https://www.ccpl.org/street-numbers-peninsular-charleston
- City Engineer’s Plat Book, 1671–1951, City of Charleston, on permanent loan to The Charleston Archive at Charleston County Public Library; digitized by the Lowcountry Digital Library, College of Charleston. Public domain; contact The Charleston Archive for reuse requirements. https://lcdl.library.cofc.edu/lcdl/
- “17 April 1861: Two stereo views of Fort Sumter,” Civil War Day by Day, Southern Historical Collection, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 17 April 2011, with a correction posted in the comments by Bob Zeller. Item: folder 222(b), Miscellaneous Pictures, #4090. https://web.lib.unc.edu/civilwar/index.php/2011/04/17/17-april-1861-two-stereo-views-of-fort-sumter/
- John S. Craig, Craig’s Daguerreian Registry (Torrington, Conn.: John S. Craig), consulted through Pioneer American Photographers.
- David Rumsey Map Collection, David Rumsey Map Center, Stanford Libraries. https://www.davidrumsey.com/
- Stephen Davis and Jack W. Melton Jr., 100 Significant Civil War Photographs: Charleston in the War (Charleston: Historical Publications LLC, 2020).
- “George Smith Cook (23 February 1819–27 November 1902),” Dictionary of Virginia Biography, Library of Virginia, Richmond. https://old.lva.virginia.gov/public/dvb/bio.asp?b=Cook_George_Smith
- Frederick A. Ford, Census of the City of Charleston, South Carolina, for the Year 1861, Illustrated by Statistical Tables, Prepared under the Authority of the City Council (Charleston, 1861). The street lists give, for every house on every street, the number, the owner and the occupant. https://archive.org/details/censusofcityofch00char
- “Jacob F. Coonley, Photographer,” Historic Camera library. https://historiccamera.com/
- 1967 King Street Survey Collection and Photograph Survey of the “Charleston Center” Site, Historic Charleston Foundation, digitized by the Lowcountry Digital Library, College of Charleston. Copyright © Historic Charleston Foundation; all rights reserved. https://lcdl.library.cofc.edu/lcdl/
- Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. https://www.loc.gov/pictures/
- “Civil War Glass Negatives and Related Prints: Background and Scope of the Collection,” Prints & Photographs Online Catalog, Library of Congress. https://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/cwp/background.html
- National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C. https://catalog.archives.gov/
- “George Cook,” Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie National Historical Park, National Park Service (page last updated 17 June 2015). https://www.nps.gov/people/george-cook.htm
- New-York Historical Society Library, Department of Prints, Photographs, and Architectural Collections, New York. https://www.nyhistory.org/library
- OpenStreetMap, © OpenStreetMap contributors, ODbL. Used for the modern street intersections this section pins approximate locations to. https://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright
- Pioneer American Photographers, 1839–1860 — a compilation of period advertisements, directory entries and registry records, with each entry citing the periodical or directory it came from. https://pioneeramericanphotographers.com/
- “George LaGrange Cook Photograph Collection,” South Caroliniana Library, University of South Carolina Digital Collections. https://digital.library.sc.edu/collections/george-lagrange-cook-photograph-collection/
- Harvey S. Teal, Partners with the Sun: South Carolina Photographers, 1840–1940 (Columbia: University of South Carolina Press, 2001).
- Photograph Collection, The Charleston Museum, Charleston, South Carolina. https://www.charlestonmuseum.org/research/
- Department of Photographs, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection
- The William E. James Stereograph Collection. https://wejames.com/
- Orlando M. Poe Papers, Special Collections, United States Military Academy Library, West Point, N.Y.
- Bob Zeller, The Blue and Gray in Black and White: A History of Civil War Photography (Westport, Conn.: Praeger, 2005).
- Bob Zeller, The Civil War in Depth: History in 3-D (San Francisco: Chronicle Books, 1997).