Work
Charleston, South Carolina. Ruins of Secession Hall
The burned ruins of Institute Hall, known as Secession Hall, in 1865.
The hall where the ordinance of secession was signed in December 1860, burned in the great fire of December 1861 and photographed in its ruin four years later.
A stereograph of the same building, made about 1860 by Osborn & Durbec and published by Quinby & Co., is also cataloged in this section. The two together are the whole arc.
Research notes
This site publishes a plate titled Ruins of Secession Hall. Whether it derives from this negative or from another in the same series has not been established here, so no link is made.
The record
Sources
- Prints and Photographs Division, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C. https://www.loc.gov/pictures/