Firm

George S. Cook’s gallery

The King Street gallery George Smith Cook ran from 1849 until the family business closed it in 1891 — a portrait studio and a photographic supply business, and the base from which Cook photographed the war in Charleston Harbor.

Cook settled his family in Charleston in October 1849 and established a permanent studio. Craig’s Daguerreian Registry records him at 235 King Street in 1852. The Dictionary of Virginia Biography notes that he ran a lucrative trade in photographic supplies out of the same King Street premises.

His carte de visite of Major Robert Anderson, made in February 1861, sold by the thousand that spring. Early in 1864 Cook moved his family toward Columbia and stored equipment, negatives and records in a temporary gallery there; all of it burned in February 1865.

Cook reopened in Charleston after the war and went on working there through the 1870s. He bought a Richmond studio in 1880 and moved; the Charleston gallery, latterly managed by his elder son, closed in 1891.

Partners and operators

Addresses

Works

Statement by statement

Sources

  • “George Smith Cook (23 February 1819–27 November 1902),” Dictionary of Virginia Biography, Library of Virginia, Richmond. https://old.lva.virginia.gov/public/dvb/bio.asp?b=Cook_George_Smith
  • Stephen Davis and Jack W. Melton Jr., 100 Significant Civil War Photographs: Charleston in the War (Charleston: Historical Publications LLC, 2020).
  • John S. Craig, Craig’s Daguerreian Registry (Torrington, Conn.: John S. Craig), consulted through Pioneer American Photographers.
  • Pioneer American Photographers, 1839–1860 — a compilation of period advertisements, directory entries and registry records, with each entry citing the periodical or directory it came from. https://pioneeramericanphotographers.com/