Confederate Veteran

Flag of the First Regiment South Carolina Regular Artillery

Volume 2, April 1894, page 126

The recovery in 1892–93 of the lost colors of the 1st South Carolina Regular Artillery, with a compressed history of the regiment at Fort Moultrie and Fort Sumter and Beauregard's order of 27 August 1863 quoted in full.

Signed “Claudine Rhett, Charleston, S. C.”

Cite as

Claudine Rhett, “Flag of the First Regiment South Carolina Regular Artillery,” Confederate Veteran 2, no. 4 (April 1894): 126.

Published
April 1894
Volume
2, no. 4
Pages
126
Author
Claudine Rhett

FLAG OF THE FIRST REGIMENT SOUTH CAROLINA REGULAR ARTILLERY.

CLAUDINE RHETT, CHARLESTON, 8. C.

One of the most interesting incidents of the winter of 1892-93 to the veterans of Charleston has been the recovery of the long lost regimental colors of the Ist Regiment South Carolina Regular Artillery and their presentation by the surviving officers of that command to the city of Charleston.

In the early days of the civil war the ladies of Charleston, by the hands of Mrs. Gen. R. 8. Ripley, gaye a handsome silk flag to the artillerists who then garrisoned Fort Moultrie. During the bombardment of Fort Sumter the hot shot fired from Moultrie caused Maj. Anderson's surrender of Fort Sumter to the Confederates, April 13, '61. A detachment of these artillerists was then placed in charge of Fort Sumter, and was thenceforth known as the Ist Regiment South Carolina Regular Artillery. The flag went with them, and was used daily on parade.

Tron-plated ships of war are now in use all over the world, but they were first tried in Charleston harbor, April 7, 1863, when Ericsson's fleet of monitors attacked Fort Sumter. They were confident that they would take Charleston, but our artillerists gave them such a warm reception that in the course of two hours the much yaunted iron-clad fleet withdrew from the contest badly worsted.

Fighting for Charleston began again on July 10, 1863, and the guns of Sumter were employed by day and by night until that fortress was reduced to the condition of a silent, dismantled earthwork, when it was placed in charge of an infantry guard, and the artillerists were withdrawn and sent to man other batteries around the harbor, after forty-eight days of continuous service, exposed to hungerand great fatigue. Gen. Beauregard, in recognition of their services, issued the following complimentary order:

Charleston, 8. C., August 27, 1863. General—The Commanding General has witnessed with genuine pride and satisfaction the defense made of Fort Sumter by Col. Rhett, his officers and the men of the 1st

Regiment South Carolina Regular Artillery, noble fruits of the discipline, application to their duties, and the soldierly bearing of officers and men, and of the organization of the regiment. In the annals of war no stouter defense was ever made, and no work ever before encountered as formidable a bombardment as that under which Fort Sumter has been successfully held. tespectfully your obedient servant, Tuomas JorpDAN, Chief of Staff. To Brig. Gen. Ripley, Commanding First Military District South Carolina, Charleston, 8. C.

When Charleston was evacuated in 1865, Lieut. Col. Yates, who commanded the regiment (Col. Alfred Rhett being in command of the brigade of regulars), left the flag in Charleston, no other flag than the Confederate battle flag being allowed in the field. Upon his return to that city, after the surrender of Johnston's army, he was informed that the flag had been hidden in a garret for safe keeping, and had been destroyed by rats. Recently it was found in the hands of a relic seller, and was immediately bought by two of the officers of the Ist Artillery for $100,

Col. Yates' widow resides in Bessemer, Ala., with her daughter, Mrs. Roberts, who was born on the 13th of April, 1861, and was baptized Belle Sumter, in memory of her father's participation in the capture of Fort Sumter. No sooner did these noble women hear of the finding of the old flag than they claimed the right as Col. Yates' representatives to bear the expense of procuring it for the city of Charleston, and forwarded the money for that purpose. The recovered emblem of the Ist Regiment South Carolina Regular Artillery was then formally presented to the City Council, and has been placed alongside of the full length portrait of Gen. Beauregard, and just above Charleston's proudest historical treasure, the sword of Beauregard.

The scan

What the scanner made of this page, and what it is in the printed original.

  • “Tron-plated” is “Iron-plated”; “gaye” is “gave”; “yaunted” is “vaunted”; “hungerand” is “hunger and”; “tespectfully” is “Respectfully”; “Tuomas JorpDAN” is “Thomas Jordan.”
  • “Ist Regiment” throughout is “1st Regiment.”

Editorial notes

Statements in this article that are wrong, doubtful, or worth setting beside another account. The article’s own text is left as printed.

  1. “Iron-plated ships of war are now in use all over the world, but they were first tried in Charleston harbor, April 7, 1863”

    Not so. Ironclads had already fought each other at Hampton Roads in March 1862, and the French and British had armoured ships at sea before the war. What was new on 7 April 1863 was a fleet of monitors attacking a masonry fort.

  2. “after forty-eight days of continuous service”

    Unverified. The first great bombardment of Fort Sumter ran from 17 August to 2 September 1863, seventeen days; the siege of Morris Island from 10 July to 6 September, fifty-eight. Neither is forty-eight, and the article does not say which period it means.

  3. “Gen. Beauregard … issued the following complimentary order”

    The order is genuine and is dated 27 August 1863, but the wording here differs from the version quoted in Volume 1, page 372 — “no stouter defense was ever made” appears here and not there. Neither is a verbatim text.