Confederate Veteran

The First South Carolina Regiment

Volume 18, May 1910, page 233

From the Darlington Guards' arrival in Charleston on 2 January 1861 through the march to Sullivan's Island, the firing on the Star of the West, and the building of the batteries on Morris Island, to the regiment's departure for Virginia.

Signed “By Elihu Muldrow, Dillon, S. C.”

Cite as

Elihu Muldrow, “The First South Carolina Regiment,” Confederate Veteran 18, no. 5 (May 1910): 233.

Published
May 1910
Volume
18, no. 5
Pages
233
Author
Elihu Muldrow

THE FIRST SOUTH CAROLINA REGIMENT. BY ELIHU MULDROW, DILLON, §. ¢.

On January 2, 1861, the Darlington Guards, of Darlington, S. C., were ordered to Charleston, S. C. Capt. F. F. Warley (now dead) was in command of the company. Late that afternoon they arrived in the "old city by the sea." A short time after their arrival the Richmond Rifles, of Columbia, and the Weence Rifles, of Williamsburg County, joined them. These companies were the nucleus of which the gallant old 1st South Carolina Regiment was formed, commanded by Col. Maxey Gregg.

On the next morning we were mustered in State service. The Darlington Guards (of which the writer was a "high private in the rear ranks") numbered one hundred and twenty, rank and file. Many were young men and beardless boys in their teens, reared in luxury. Yet their subsequent lives when death and carnage deluged our Southland proved themselves men. The Secession Convention was in session at that time. Major Anderson, who was in command of the United States garrison, only a few days before had spiked the other guns and moved his command and munitions of war to Fort Sumter. Near noon the companies took up the line of march for Sullivan's Island, headed by the entire

Secession Convention, the Governor leading the procession. All Charleston seemed thrilled with unconquerable patriotism. The sidewalks, porches, doors, and windows

along Meeting Street and on to the foot of Market Street were packed with Charleston's fair dames and daughters, waving palmette flags and greeting the passing columns with smiles that made the veterans feel as if no greater pleasure could come to them than to die in their defense.

When this civic and military pageant traversed the streets of Charleston with bands playing and the State colors rippling in the breeze, it. was a scene that inspired patriotic

hearts and nerved them to meet whatever the secession of their loved State would bring them. At the wharf, where the ferryboat awaited to take them over to Sullivan's Island, short speeches from the Governor and some of the members of the convention were made; and while the great throng listened to the eloquence of the speakers one member of the convention, Rev. John M. Timmons, a Baptist preacher with long, iron-gray beard, with eyes lifted to heaven and tears streaming down his face invoked the God of battles to come to the aid of these people in this their stand for self-government. His pose and venerable looks were suggestive of Elijah coming to earth again. The dear old man has joined the angel throng long years ago, but will be remembered as a man of God and a patriot.

A jolly lot were these soldier boys as they steamed across Charleston Bay. Each company was assigned its camping ground on the island. Except for drilling, the time was monotonous until the Star of the West made her advent. The first gun of the war was fired. Soon after firing upon the Star of the West these three companies were transferred to Morris Island. Building batteries and mounting guns superseded drilling. These young boys rolled barrows of sand and shouldered great hunks of sod in the work on the defenses as if they were veterans in plying spade and shovel. At Cummins's point, on the north end of the island, guns were mounted to bear on Fort Sumter, and for the first time in the history of the world railroad iron was used in constructing batteries. After Morris Island was taken by the enemy and Charleston invested, Gilmore planted his "swampangel," as it was called, with which he shelled the city.

The ist South Carolina Regiment was organized on this island, and by April 15 volunteers from other States had arrived, and the island bristled with bayonets from one end. to the other, A large blockade fleet kept watch across the bar. Soon after the dogs of war were turned loose sure enough Fort Sumter was captured. The different commands: were reorganized. The 1st South Carolina Volunteers, commanded by Col. Maxey Gregg, with eleven companies became part of the Army of Northern Virginia. Lieutenant McIntosh, now living in Towsontown, Md., reorganized the old company and was elected captain. After reaching Suffolk, Va., it left the 1st Regiment and became the famous Pee Dee Lieht Artillery, Pegram's Battalion, Hill's Division, Jackson's Corps, Army of Northern Virginia.

On the 21st of last July fourteen of the survivors of this old battery met in annual reunion. These, with one comrade in New York, two in Texas, and one in Maryland, comprise what is left of the boys who followed the Secession Convention to the ferryboat at the foot of Market Street in Charleston, S. C., January 3, 1861.

Petitions to Have "Barpara Frietcuir" BANISHED FROM Scuoors.—Mrs. B. A. Keane, of Roxbury, Mass., says she is not a Southern woman, only a good American, and that she desires to have her children grow up unprejudiced Americans. She therefore petitions the public schools of Boston to banish the poem of Barbara Frietchie by John Greenleaf Whittier, as it is not a just picture of the "noble men of the South."

Dismissep Jury Brecausr Four or Its Memrers WERE Necrors.—Judge John H. Pitchford in the District Court in Wagner, Okla., dismissed a jury because four of its members were negroes. He said the law required them to ride in separate carriages, and he did not propose to make white men serve with them on juries.

The scan

What the scanner made of this page, and what it is in the printed original.

  • “Weence Rifles” is the Wee Nee Rifles; “Cummins's point” is Cummings Point; “palmette flags” is palmetto; “Gilmore” is Gillmore.

Editorial notes

Statements in this article that are wrong, doubtful, or worth setting beside another account. The article’s own text is left as printed.

  1. “for the first time in the history of the world railroad iron was used in constructing batteries”

    Too large a claim, though the germ is sound. The Stevens Iron Battery at Cummings Point was shielded with railroad iron laid on a sloping timber face, and it is among the earliest ironclad land batteries anywhere; “first in the history of the world” is the regiment's pride talking.

  2. “Major Anderson … only a few days before had spiked the other guns and moved his command and munitions of war to Fort Sumter”

    Correct. Anderson spiked the guns of Fort Moultrie and crossed to Sumter on the night of 26 December 1860, a week before the Darlington Guards reached the city.

  3. “Lieutenant McIntosh, now living in Towsontown, Md.”

    David Gregg McIntosh, later colonel of artillery in the Army of Northern Virginia, who lived at Towson, Maryland. The Veteran printed his obituary in 1917.